Offered here is a Rare and interesting piece. This is an Antique c1850s Keyzor & Bendon Telescope Theodolite In its Original Box. The company was run by 2 brothers at 50 High Holborn, London from1855 until Abraham Keyzor death in 1873.
This is certainly exceptional quality and it is engraved with the makers mark, this reads Keyzor & Brendon London. The instrument is extremely well engineered as you would expect, and is extendable. This sits in its fitted case. The instrument has 2 Spirit levels on the top and when you look through the eye piece the image is upside down, the brass dial on the side adjusts the focus and gives a good, albeit inverted image. We are not military or scientific instrument experts so have describe this as well as we can.This was discovered with, and probably used with a much later WW 11 tripod that we have listed. The threaded fitting on the bottom of the theodolite fits perfectly into the threaded fitting on the tripod. We can confirm from Company records and the style of writing in the form of the makers mark on the theodolite that this instrument is much earlier and As mentioned dates to the mid nineteenth century. This is fabulously engineered and is a lovely piece and it clearly sits on top of a tripod. This theodolite telescope was discovered with 2 other items, we have listed both of these, there is the tripod (as mentioned) this has extendable legs, and is a number 28, Mark 1, and secondly, a WW 2 Military Artillery Director. They may have been used together.
This comes in its original fitted wooden mahogany box. This has some wear but is still useable.Again, this was a quality made piece. The shield shaped escutcheon around the keyhole is missing. The brass lock is present but there is no key.
The lid closes with 2 brass rotating hooks. It can be secured but one of the hook tops is missing. This has 2 substantial working brass hinges. This is a fabulous and early Scientific Instrument and very collectable.
Alternatively these are great for Film / Stage / TV Props. Keyzor were an optician and spectacle maker who Traded at, Castle Meadow (1847) & St Giles St. (1854), both Norwich, England, and were a Partnership of Michael & Abraham keyzor. Succeeded by Keyzor & Bendon w. From research it appears these premises were used by Opticians who supplied the British Royal Family.This item is in the category "Collectables\Scientific Collectables\Engineering & Surveying". The seller is "quirkyvintageandbooks" and is located in this country: GB. This item can be shipped to United Kingdom, Antigua and Barbuda, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Republic of Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Australia, United States, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Israel, Norway, Malaysia, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Barbados, Brunei Darussalam, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Grenada, French Guiana, Iceland, Jersey, Jordan, Cambodia, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Liechtenstein, Sri Lanka, Macau, Monaco, Maldives, Montserrat, Martinique, Pakistan, Paraguay, Reunion, Turks and Caicos Islands, Aruba, Chile, Bahamas, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago.